Ir al contenido principal

Comentario sobre la traducción de "Ulysses" al Finlandés

Leevi Lehto, traductor al finladés de "Ulysses", una de las obras maestras el escritor irlandés James Joyce, comenta que éste fue uno de sus trabajos más «fáciles»

This may sound odd, but I have found Ulysses to be my easiest translation thus far! The most demanding and yet the easiest. The only way I can explain this is to say that, unlike all other translation works, every sentence of Ulysses has “something to translate”. The usual case is quite different: usually most of any given text seems to say: “convey only my meaning”. Only at times it asks to “convey how I am”. This makes translating difficult, since conveying meaning as such is not possible, as it would require exact correspondence and assume a single correct translation. Conveying the how, on the other hand, is always possible and in a myriad of ways – not one of them is correct, but one can be better than the other. What follows is that the more strictly I try to repeat what Joyce has done, the more freedom I have. Translating Ulysses became for me the point in which the constantly ambivalent borderline between writing and translating vanished entirely. I would no-longer consider this work secondary to my “own original” writing.


Enlace: Lauri Niskanen: Translating Ulysses from Saarikoski to Joyce. A conversation with Leevi Lehto (vía BookSlut)